Catalog of Enterprise Systems
Senate Bill 272
On October 11, 2015, the Governor signed into law Senate Bill 272, (SB 272) which added Section 6270.5 to the California Government Code requiring local agencies, including the Town of Moraga, to create a catalog of enterprise systems used by the local agency and post the catalog on its website with annual updates.
SB 272 requires that the Town:
- Create a catalog of enterprise systems containing:
- Current system product
- Current system vendor
- The department that is the prime custodian of the data
- A description of categories or types of data
- The frequency that system data is collected
- The frequency that system data is updated
- System’s purpose
- To make the catalog publicly available upon request
- To post the catalog in a prominent location on the agency’s website.
If the public interest served by not disclosing the information described clearly outweighs the public interest served by disclosure, the local agency may instead provide a system name, brief title or identifier of the system.
Defining Enterprise Systems
An “enterprise system” is a software application or computer system that collects, stores, exchanges and analyzes information that the agency uses that is both of the following:
- A multi-departmental system or a system that contains information collected about the public
- A system that serves as an original source of data within an agency
What an Enterprise System is Not
An "enterprise system" does not include any of the following:
- Information Technology security systems, including firewalls and other cybersecurity systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas or water or sewer functions.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring and other physical control systems.
- The specific records that the information technology system collects, stores, exchanges or analyzes.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operation or emergency services.
- Systems that would be restricted from disclosure by Section 6254.19.